Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Bourbon Chocolate Chip Cookies with Candied Bacon

Growing up, my dad would day I had sweet teeth instead of just one tooth. My mom begged to differ that it was only salty food as I share her affinity towards popcorn. I agreed with both as long as I got to eat whatever unhealthy thing I could get my hands on. While my taste buds may have evolved, I still can't deny a sweet or salty urge every now and again. Such an urge struck when I stayed home one Friday night and decided to indulge in a Netflix marathon with Bourbon and cookies. 

As I headed towards the kitchen to make my go to chocolate chip, I toyed around with the idea of adding some of my Maker's into the mix. I decided, whether it was the alcohol or a result of genius boredom, to also use the rest of the bacon I had. What resulted was a deliciously sweet and salty, fluffy cookie that no one could deny.

Bourbon Chocolate Chip Cookies with Candied Bacon 


Serving: Makes about 10-12 cookies depending on size
Prep: 30 Minutes
Cook: 15-20 Minutes for the Bacon; 12-15 Minutes for the Cookies
Entire Process: About 1 hour

Cookie Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/4 cup ground oats
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
2 oz (about 2 shot glasses) of Bourbon, I used Maker's Mark
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
2 cups chocolate chips

Candied Bacon Ingredients:
6 slices of bacon, or more depending on how you want your final cookie to turn out
1 cup light brown sugar
Maple Syrup
2oz of Maker's Mark or another Bourbon

1. We'll begin with the candied bacon. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with cooking oil.
*Tip: Use a rimmed baking sheet if possible and add a wire cooling rack on top of the foil for the best cooking and easiest clean up.

2. In a sauce pan, over medium heat add 3/4 of the brown sugar, about a 1/2 cup of maple syrup, less if you have flavored bacon, and the bourbon. Stir for about 10 minutes until the mixture is more of a sauce.

3. Place bacon on the baking sheet/cooling rack and brush on half of the bourbon maple glaze. Sprinkle half of the remaining brown sugar on to the bacon and add to the oven for about 10 minutes.

4. After 10 minutes, flip the bacon and add the remaining half of the Bourbon maple glaze. Sprinkle the remainder of the brown sugar and return the pan to the oven.


5. While the bacon is finishing baking, get started on the cookie dough mixture.

6. Combine both sugars and butter in a large bowl. Sift the flour, oats and baking soda together then add to the bowl.

7. Add the vanilla, eggs and Bourbon to the bowl and whisk until a cookie-dough mixture has formed.

8. Hopefully the bacon is now done and crisp, let cool and then chop up finely.

9. Add diced bacon and chocolate chips to the cookie dough and mix until combined.

10. Lower the oven to 350 degrees.



11. Line another baking sheet with parchment/wax paper. Add golf ball sized balls of dough onto the sheet.

12. Bake for about 12 minutes and check to see if the edges are brown. Depending if you want your cookie more gooey or crisp, let bake another 1-3 minutes.

13. Let cool and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment