Sunday, June 21, 2015

Blackened Salmon with Wild Rice and Green Beans


I've started growing a miniature garden on the balcony porch of our apartment. I've been really proud of it (even though I've already killed and have had to replant half of it). Some of the herbs have finally matured enough to trim enough to use for fresh cooking. 




Every now and then I'll switch my protein to seafood based. Salmon is one of the most versatile and easy fish to cook and therefore is great to try new recipes on.

Blackened Salmon with Wild Rice and Green Beans

Servings: 1-2
Prep: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes Total 

Ingredients:
Fresh Salmon Fillet
Green Beans- with ends trimmed and washed
Chopped Spinach
2 Cups Wild Rice
4 Cups Water 
Olive Oil
Butter- I used herb butter from my local market
Sea Salt and Peppercorn

Salmon Rub:
I used fresh herbs from my garden so I had to grind/shred these down but you can estimate the measurements to be 1/2-1 Tsp of each
Basil
Thyme 
Oregano

1 Tsp Garlic Salt
1 Tsp Paprika
1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp Onion Powder


1. Add wild rice, water and salt and pepper to taste to a pot. Bring to a boil and then switch to simmer and add a lid. Let the rice cook while you prepare and cook the fish.

2. Turn the oven on to 300F and add foil to a baking sheet. Add green beans and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Add a few pinches of sea salt, peppercorn and garlic salt. Cook for 20 minutes. 


3. Skin fish, if needed. Mix all of the spices, along with salt and pepper to taste, in a bowl and then rub generously to the salmon fillet. 

4. Heat a skillet to mid heat and melt butter. Add salmon fillet for about 5-7 minutes on each side. If you have fresh herbs apply any extra from the rub on top while the salmon sears.

5. When the rice is ready, fluff and add the chopped spinach. Season with salt and pepper as needed and apply to your plate. Add the green beans, salmon, a sprig of parsley and voila!  

No comments:

Post a Comment